The Murchison Widefield Array – MWA – MIT Haystack Observatory
The MWA is a low frequency radio telescope of novel new design. Burns Industries is involved in the design and manufacture of the antennas for the radio telescope.
- Eight thousand bulky antennas needed to be built and shipped deep into the Australian Outback
- The antennas needed to be compact for shipping yet quickly assembled in the field.
- Balance between practical installation and durability
- Minimize the cost drivers
- Maximize the efficiency of expensive field labor in inhospitable conditions
Burns Industries re-designed the antenna prototype for low cost, manufacturability and ease of deployment in a harsh environment.
8 antennas per box:
16 antennas per tile:
512 tiles per Radio Telescope:
If you are interested in learning more about this groundbreaking project, click here.
Burns Industries supplied the antennas for the LWA.
To learn more about the LWA, click here.
Burns Industries is the turnkey supplier to Enertrac for their tank monitoring systems.